Connect with us

Uncategorized

Coronavirus may be spread by SEX: Study finds the killer virus in semen

Published

on

Coronavirus could be spread through sex, experts now fear after they detected the infection in the semen of recovering men.

Researchers in China analysed semen samples from 38 men who tested positive for COVID-19. Some had recovered while others were infectious.

One in six had traces of the coronavirus in their semen – including those who were no longer sick.

Top infectious disease experts admitted the findings were ‘not surprising’ because viruses such as Zika and Ebola are present in semen samples.

The Chinese study did not prove that the virus could be transmitted through sex – it only suggested it was a possible.

But the finding prompted the team to warn that abstaining from sex while infected – and during recovery – would likely be a wise decision.

So far 3.7million cases of COVID-19 – the disease caused by the coronavirus – have been reported globally.

But that figure is only a fraction of the truth because it does not include the millions who have suffered mild disease and recovered at home without being tested.

The study was done at Shangqiu Municipal Hospital, the only designated centre for the treatment of COVID-19 in Shangqiu, Henan province.

Men over the age of 15 who had tested positive for the virus between January 26 and February 16 gave semen samples.

Of the 38 men, 15 (39.5 per cent) were in the acute stage of infection. The rest had recovered.

Results of semen testing found that six patients (15.8 per cent) had results positive for SARS-CoV-2, the official name of the novel coronavirus.

A quarter of those who were still infectious had the virus in their semen, according to the paper published in the journal JAMA.

But what was ‘particularly noteworthy’ to the scientists, was that 8.7 per cent of the those who had recovered had traces in their semen.

Scientists have found traces of SARS-CoV-2 in semen samples of very small studies. But the implication of this on male reproductive health or spread of the virus has not been robustly studied yet.

Urologists at Suzhou Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing University theorised that the coronavirus could cause testicular damage.

In a paper published on MedRxiv.org – a platform for papers that have not been peer-reviewed by other scientists to flag false claims – the team said their interest in COVID-19 was roused when it came to light that the coronavirus enters cells by binding to ACE2 receptors.

‘Several researches have indicated that some patients have abnormal renal function or even kidney damage in addition to injury in respiratory system, and the related mechanism is unknown,’ the team said.

‘This arouses our interest in whether coronavirus infection will affect the urinary and male reproductive systems.’

The team analysed ‘online datasets’ and found ACE2 expression in different human organs. The results indicate that ACE2 highly expressed in the mans tested, and can be concentrated in several cells which are directly related to the male reproductive abilities, including the germ cells, supporting cells and Leydig cells.

‘Therefore, virus might directly bind to such ACE2 positive cells and damage the kidney and testicular tissue of patients,’ they wrote.

They warned that doctors should pay close attention to possible damage in the testicles of coronavirus patients, especially if they are of reproductive age.

The warning was echoed by another team of scientists at Tongji Hospital, affiliated to Huazhong University of Science and Technology, is one of the hospitals designated by the government to treat coronavirus patients since an outbreak started in Wuhan in January.

Although the coronavirus mainly targets one’s lungs and immune system, the infection could result in ‘impairment of immune homeostasis in the testes’, which could cause orchitis – an inflammation of the testicles.

This in turn could reduce a man’s sperm count and possibly lead to infertility, according to the team who also noted the ACE2 theory.

They added that during the SARS outbreak in 2002 and 2003, medics observed serious immune system damage in the testicles of some male patients.

The hospital report was widely shared on social media despite being pulled from provincial government’s website just hours after being uploaded.

There were no obvious trends spotted in the men whose sample contained the virus.

They ranged from their 20s to 50s, three had an underlying health condition, and their symptoms started between six and 16 days prior to giving the semen .

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

TRENDING

Politics2 months ago

Ex- Super Eagles Players Praise Asiwaju Tinubu’s Contributions to Nigeria, Sports

Former Nigeria’s international football players have commended All Progressives Congress National Leader, Asíwájú Bola Tinubu, for his contributions to democracy...

News2 months ago

Obiano’s wife was drunk – Bianca Ojukwu opens up on ‘valedictory slap’

Bianca, the wife of late Odumegwu Ojukwu, has explained why she slapped Ebele Obiano at the inauguration ceremony of Prof....

Politics2 months ago

Kaduna govt directs appointees seeking political office to resign

The Kaduna State Government has directed all political appointees and public servants aspiring for political offices in the 2023 general...

News2 months ago

Buhari approves new NBC board

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the reconstitution of the Governing Board of the National Broadcasting Commission, NBC, following the expiration...

News2 months ago

Police arrest 2 soldiers, 3 others for robbing POS agent in Borno

The police in Borno have arrested five suspects, including two soldiers for alleged armed robbery and culpable homicide. Commissioner of...

News2 months ago

Terrorists kill DPO, 2 other policemen, 4 vigilantes in Niger

Suspected bandit terrorists have again hit Niger State, during which a Divisional Police Officer, DPO, two of his officers and four vigilante members were killed.  The...

Politics2 months ago

PDP will die in 2023 if it loses election – Atiku

Atiku Abubakar, a former Vice President, has said that the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) might not survive another eight...

News2 months ago

Presidency blames ‘Jonathan’ govt for recent national grid collapse

The Presidency has blamed the immediate past administration for the recent collapse of the nation’s power system. President Buhari’s Personal...

Uncategorized2 months ago

Mrs Dolapo in Maiduguri, marks Osinbajo’s birthday at North East Children’s Centre

Wife of the Vice President, Mrs Dolapo Osinbajo, was in Maiduguri on Monday to visit the North East Children’s Learning...

News6 months ago

Zulum to commission 22 schools, other projects in southern Borno

Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno has begun a five-day official visit to the southern part of the state to inaugurate...

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Daily correspondents