Connect with us

Uncategorized

COVID-19: 51 Discharged South -Korean Patients Test Positive Again

Published

on



Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said on  Monday that 51 people from Daegu and the surrounding North Gyeongsang Province tested positive for COVID-19 a “relatively short time” after they were released.

The virus likely was reactivated, said KCDC Director-General Jeong Eun-kyeong, instead of the people being reinfected once they left, South Korea’s Yonhap news agency reported.
The group of people came from the epicentre  of South Korea’s coronavirus outbreak in Daegu.

Health authorities told Yonhap news agency that a team of investigators had been sent to Daegu to conduct an epidemiological investigation into the cases.

In March, the South China Morning Post reported that doctors in Wuhan, China – where the virus emerged – said that as many as 10 percent of coronavirus patients had tested positive again after being discharged from the hospital.

Wang Wei, the president of Tongji Hospital where the first COVID-19 case was identified, told state broadcaster CCTV that those who tested positive did not have any symptoms and none of their close contacts had been infected.

Scientists ponder whether it’s possible for people to develop immunity to COVID-19 after the initial infection.

“We need a large-scale epidemiological study to guide our disease surveillance and prevention works,” he was quoted as saying.

The news out of South Korea came as officials are now considering using electronic wristbands to monitor the growing number of people placed under self-quarantine to slow the spread of COVID-19 as 47 new cases were reported.

South Korea has been enforcing 14-day quarantines on all passengers arriving from overseas to stem a rise in imported infections.

More than 46,500 people were under self-quarantine as of Monday evening, including 38,400 who recently arrived from abroad, according to Lee Byeong-cheol, an official from the Ministry of the Interior and Safety. That number could grow to 80,000 or 90,000.

Health Ministry official Yoon Tae-ho on Tuesday acknowledged that wristbands would come with privacy concerns. It wasn’t clear how South Korea would enforce the wristbands, but the country has previously warned of a crackdown on those who disobey quarantines.

Yoon said such devices were among several measures discussed as “practical and effective ways” to monitor people isolated at homes and facilities.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

TRENDING

Uncategorized1 week ago

2022 World Cup: Saudi Arabia beat Argentina 2-1

Saudi Arabia recorded the first major upset of the World Cup as they beat Argentina 2-1 in their opening game...

Politics1 week ago

2023: Lai Mohammed accuses opposition parties of using fake news in campaigns against APC

The Federal Government has accused opposition parties of using fake news and disinformation to prosecute the campaigns towards the 2023...

Foreign News2 weeks ago

Twitter Restores Donald Trump’s Account

Microblogging service Twitter has reinstated former United States President Donald Trump’s account.  The account was restored after Twitter’s new owner...

Sabinus Sabinus
Entertainment2 weeks ago

How Sabinus scammed me of N2m – Event planner cries out

An event planner, Johnbosco Ezeuchegbu aka Crazylegs, on Friday called out a popular comedian, Chukwuemeka Emmanuel, also known as Sabinus,...

News2 weeks ago

Identity Of Humanitarian Worker Killed By Trigger-Happy Soldier Revealed

The identity of the humanitarian worker shot by a soldier in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State has been...

Foreign News2 weeks ago

Ghana finance minister apologises for economic hardship

Ghana’s Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta on Friday said he was “truly sorry” for the country’s economic hardships but defended himself...

News2 weeks ago

Youth minister confirms sack of NYSC DG

The Minister of Youth and Sports Development Sunday Dare has confirmed the removal of the Director-General of the National Youth...

News2 weeks ago

Naira redesign: Give us more time – Miyetti Allah cries out to CBN

The leader of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, MCBAN, South-East Chapter, has appealed to the Central Bank of...

Politics2 weeks ago

We’ll dialogue with IPOB, others – Tinubu

All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu has said his government will discuss with all agitating groups...

News2 weeks ago

Buhari fires DG NYSC 6 months after assuming office

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the immediate removal of Brigadier-General Muhammad Kukah Fadah, from office as the Director General of...

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Daily correspondents