BREAKING: Italian Coronavirus patient attempts to escape from isolation centre, due to poor hygiene, mosquitoes
The 44-year-old Italian patient of Coronavirus that was placed under quarantine at the Mainland Hospital, Yaba, (formerly, Infectious Diseases Hospital), has attempted to escape from the facility, Daily Correspondents has learned.
A health worker at the hospital said on Friday that the patient was angry and had attempted to escape, given the poor condition of the isolation centre.
The high ranking health worker, who spoke to The PUNCH under the condition of anonymity on Friday, decried the ‘very poor quality’ of the isolation centre, lamenting that “the authorities have not matched words with action.”
Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Obafemi Hamzat, had said on Friday that the state government had built a facility to handle the situation, adding that the patient was getting better.
Hamzat had said, “It is a lab that can accommodate 100 for now, but it is only one bed that is occupied today. Hopefully, it wouldn’t spread. We are ready and we are well equipped. He (the patient) is there and he is getting better. He is steady. The doctors say he is going to be fine.’’
But the health worker said the Italian patient had been “very upset about” the surrounding, adding that the patient “complained of excessive heat and mosquitoes.”
He said, “The patient wanted to run away yesterday (Friday). The Italian man, who seems to be an engineer, was very angry that the room where he was kept was very hot.
“There is nothing there (inside the isolation ward) aside from bed and hospital locker. He almost ran away and is still threatening to do that.”
The source said the level of preparedness in Lagos State for infectious diseases such as Coronavirus and Lassa fever “is zero.”
An online entry describes the Mainland Hospital, where the Italian is being quarantined, as “an ultra-modern multi-drug resistant tuberculosis treatment centre, with a 40-bed admission facility.”
Tbe source, who emerged from the Out Patient Department of the Mainland Hospital, Yaba, alleged that Lagos State did not have the facility to accommodate individuals who might have come in contact with the Italian.
According to the source, the facility that is meant to accommodate both suspected and confirmed Coronavirus cases is still undergoing renovation “and might take a while” before it can function fully.
He also revealed that the isolation area was a room in one of the wards, and that it was quickly vacated to accommodate the index case.
The source alleged, “The only thing demarcating the room from other rooms in the ward is a red and white barricade tape. That is where the Italian man that tested positive to Coronavirus is kept.
“There is no single equipment inside that place. It is just like any other regular hospital room with a bed. That building you see that is being repainted is the original place meant to quarantine Coronavirus patients.
“As you can see, the place is not ready. The state government is just renovating it, despite the fact that the virus started spreading since December 2019. It is really sad that a country like Nigeria is never ready to medically contain infectious disease outbreak.
2022 World Cup: Saudi Arabia beat Argentina 2-1
Saudi Arabia recorded the first major upset of the World Cup as they beat Argentina 2-1 in their opening game...
2023: Lai Mohammed accuses opposition parties of using fake news in campaigns against APC
The Federal Government has accused opposition parties of using fake news and disinformation to prosecute the campaigns towards the 2023...
Twitter Restores Donald Trump’s Account
Microblogging service Twitter has reinstated former United States President Donald Trump’s account. The account was restored after Twitter’s new owner...
How Sabinus scammed me of N2m – Event planner cries out
An event planner, Johnbosco Ezeuchegbu aka Crazylegs, on Friday called out a popular comedian, Chukwuemeka Emmanuel, also known as Sabinus,...
Identity Of Humanitarian Worker Killed By Trigger-Happy Soldier Revealed
The identity of the humanitarian worker shot by a soldier in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State has been...
Ghana finance minister apologises for economic hardship
Ghana’s Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta on Friday said he was “truly sorry” for the country’s economic hardships but defended himself...
Youth minister confirms sack of NYSC DG
The Minister of Youth and Sports Development Sunday Dare has confirmed the removal of the Director-General of the National Youth...
Naira redesign: Give us more time – Miyetti Allah cries out to CBN
The leader of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, MCBAN, South-East Chapter, has appealed to the Central Bank of...
We’ll dialogue with IPOB, others – Tinubu
All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu has said his government will discuss with all agitating groups...
Buhari fires DG NYSC 6 months after assuming office
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the immediate removal of Brigadier-General Muhammad Kukah Fadah, from office as the Director General of...