Connect with us

News

Nigerian govt mulls scrapping N-Power, reveals exit plan for beneficiaries

Published

on

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq, says N-power beneficiaries need not panic as the government is considering plans for their exit.

Farouq said this in Abuja yesterday when she visited the corporate headquarters of Media Trust Limited, publishers of Daily Trust titles.

“I don’t know the fears of the beneficiaries, but I know that government had this N-power programme and it’s supposed to be a two- year programme. Those in 2016 were supposed to have exited in 2018, but because there was no plan in place, the tenure was extended. So, they know from the outset that it’s not a programme that will be there for life.

“For us as a ministry, we’re looking at all options for the planned exit.
We’re not just going to exit them to their fate, we have options and we’re deploring these options so that they can have something to fall back on.

The year has just started and we hope that before the end of the year, we should come up with an exit plan,” she said.

She said the home-grown school feeding programme had been successful as almost all the states had keyed into it.

She said the ministry was working towards the early recovery of the internally displaced persons in the northeast, but would not return them to their communities until those communities were certified safe.

She said her ministry looked forward to a mutually beneficial partnership with Media Trust to deliver durable solutions to Nigerians.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

TRENDING

Uncategorized1 week ago

2022 World Cup: Saudi Arabia beat Argentina 2-1

Saudi Arabia recorded the first major upset of the World Cup as they beat Argentina 2-1 in their opening game...

Politics1 week ago

2023: Lai Mohammed accuses opposition parties of using fake news in campaigns against APC

The Federal Government has accused opposition parties of using fake news and disinformation to prosecute the campaigns towards the 2023...

Foreign News2 weeks ago

Twitter Restores Donald Trump’s Account

Microblogging service Twitter has reinstated former United States President Donald Trump’s account.  The account was restored after Twitter’s new owner...

Sabinus Sabinus
Entertainment2 weeks ago

How Sabinus scammed me of N2m – Event planner cries out

An event planner, Johnbosco Ezeuchegbu aka Crazylegs, on Friday called out a popular comedian, Chukwuemeka Emmanuel, also known as Sabinus,...

News2 weeks ago

Identity Of Humanitarian Worker Killed By Trigger-Happy Soldier Revealed

The identity of the humanitarian worker shot by a soldier in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State has been...

Foreign News2 weeks ago

Ghana finance minister apologises for economic hardship

Ghana’s Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta on Friday said he was “truly sorry” for the country’s economic hardships but defended himself...

News2 weeks ago

Youth minister confirms sack of NYSC DG

The Minister of Youth and Sports Development Sunday Dare has confirmed the removal of the Director-General of the National Youth...

News2 weeks ago

Naira redesign: Give us more time – Miyetti Allah cries out to CBN

The leader of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, MCBAN, South-East Chapter, has appealed to the Central Bank of...

Politics2 weeks ago

We’ll dialogue with IPOB, others – Tinubu

All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu has said his government will discuss with all agitating groups...

News2 weeks ago

Buhari fires DG NYSC 6 months after assuming office

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the immediate removal of Brigadier-General Muhammad Kukah Fadah, from office as the Director General of...

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Daily correspondents